Why you should not admit fault after a car crash

On Behalf of | Apr 14, 2023 | car accidents |

You should never admit fault if you are involved in a car accident, even if you think you played a part. Avoid making statements that allude to your responsibility for the crash, such as apologizing to the other driver or giving an opinion on what happened.

First, you may not fully understand what led to the crash. Second, admitting fault could negatively affect your claim and make getting the compensation you deserve difficult. Here is why:

Your admission of fault could be used against you

Before a car accident claim is settled, insurance investigators will first look into the circumstances that led to the crash to establish each driver’s level of fault. They do this by assessing the crash scene, going through police reports, driver’s statements, surveillance footage and eyewitness statements.

Admitting responsibility for the crash only makes it easier for them to draw conclusions. You may even end up bearing unnecessary blame than if you had remained silent.

Why is your level of fault significant? Under California law, you can recover compensation with your car accident claim even if you bear partial responsibility. However, your degree of fault or responsibility for the crash will diminish the compensation due to you. For instance, if you are found to be 40% at fault and your damages total $100,000, you will only get the remaining 60% which may be insufficient to cover your damages.

Safeguard your interests after a car accident

Learning more about the dos and don’ts after an accident can protect your car accident claim and increase your chances of a successful outcome. It explains the importance of seeking legal guidance soon after a crash to help avoid costly mistakes and understand the steps to take toward getting the compensation you deserve.